Posted by Gerty the Garden Gnome, on May 23, 2022.
Now you have an abundance of fresh veggies at your doorstep, why not throw a BBQ to show off your produce? There is nothing like the taste of homegrown vegetables, pair that with a warm sunny day and have the perfect BBQ! Gerty has collected some grilling recipes below.
Aubergine Kebabs With Charred Onion Salsa
Try these veggie skewers for an easy BBQ option – simple to put together, quick to cook and easily scaled up or down depending on how many you’re feeding!
- 3 aubergines, sliced lengthways into ½cm slices
- 3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 tbsp olive oil
Charred Onion Salsa
- 4 medium onions, sliced into thick rounds
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp mint leaves, finely shredded
- ½ tbsp chilli flakes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Light the barbecue. Meanwhile, sprinkle the aubergine slices on both sides with 1 tbsp of salt. Allow to drain in a colander or sieve for 30 minutes, then rinse and pat dry.
- To make the salsa, put the onion slices over direct heat on the barbecue (skewering them first will make them more stable) and cook for 8 minutes or until lightly charred on both sides. Finely chop and mix with the other salsa ingredients, plus some salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine the molasses, cumin, cinnamon, olive oil, and mix to a paste. Brush evenly over the aubergine slices and thread them, concertina style, onto six skewers, packing them relatively tightly.
- Cook on the barbecue for 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally, or until soft and lightly charred. Serve with the onion salsa, herby couscous and yoghurt.
Grilled Garden Pizza
This colourful, healthy pizza looks as fresh as it tastes. Perfect for families and for using all the veg you’ve grown in your garden!
Ingredients (use whatever you have in the garden!)
- 1 red onion, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 sweet red pepper, halved, stemmed and seeded
- 1 zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 squash, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 prebaked 12-inch thin whole wheat pizza crust
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup torn basil
- Brush vegetables with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat until tender, 4-5 minutes per side for onion and pepper, 3-4 minutes per side for zucchini and squash.
- Separate onion into rings; cut pepper into strips. Spread pizza crust with garlic; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Top with grilled vegetables, then remaining cheese.
- Grill pizza, covered, over medium heat until bottom is golden brown and cheese is melted, 5-7 minutes. Top with basil.
These mini burgers are great for kids or BBQ starters.
10 mini burgers (or ground beef to make your own)
1 cup barbecue sauce, divided
10 mini bread rolls, split
Lettuce leaves, sliced plum tomatoes and red onion (whatever you have in the garden)
- Grill patties, covered, over medium heat or broil 4-5 in. from heat until a thermometer reads 160°, 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Brush with 1/4 cup sauce during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Serve on rolls with remaining barbecue sauce; top as desired.
Bacon-Corn Stuffed Peppers
Filled with corn, salsa, green onions, mozzarella cheese and bacon, these grilled pepper halves are sure to liven up your BBQ
- 2 cups corn
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, halved and seeded
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, salsa and onions. Spoon into pepper halves. Place each stuffed pepper half on a piece of heavy-duty foil (about 18×12 in.). Fold foil around peppers and seal tightly.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat until peppers are crisp-tender, 25-30 minutes. Carefully open packets to allow steam to escape.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bacon. Return to the grill until cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes. Serve with additional salsa if desired.
Tomato-Herb Grilled Tilapia
This super tilapia with ginger and lemon takes your BBQ dinner over the top with minimal prep.
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh ginger root
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1-1/2 cups of corn
- 4 tilapia fillets
- Place the first 6 ingredients in a food processor; add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Pulse until mixture is finely chopped.
- In a bowl, combine tomatoes and corn; stir in 1 tablespoon herb mixture and remaining salt.
- Place each fillet on a piece of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Top with herb mixture; spoon tomato mixture alongside fish. Fold foil around fish and vegetables, sealing tightly.
- Grill, covered, over medium-high heat until the fish just begins to flake easily with a fork, 6-8 minutes. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape.